Monday, July 11, 2011

Scandalous Beauty 30 Day Blog Challenge - Day 10

Day 10 – A photo of your favorite place to eat. 





The Story Behind The Picture

My favorite place to eat is at my grandmother's house. Whenever I visit my grandparents on the Caribbean island of Curacao I MUST have my favorite foods before I leave. Usually the first morning my Oma (dutch for grandmother) Machie makes me cornmeal pop (porridge) with extra raisins for me for breakfast. (I tried making it myself once or twice , but it didn't taste the same) Another day she may make Cook Up Rice (fried rice with Vienna sausage and a fried egg on top) or if its too hot to cook she'll send my grandfather to the "Chinee" (how he says Chinese) for Nasi Goring (Indonesian fried rice). The best day is Thursday because its soup day (yes we eat hot soup in the Caribbean heat). My favorite soup that my grandmother makes is Pigeon Pea Soup with Dumplings.(If I close my eyes I can taste it... and I save the dumplings for last to sop up the soup at the bottom of the bowl) 

Age has slowed my Oma down un tiki (un tiki means a little in Papiamento) so she doesn't cook big meals as much anymore. But I am grateful that she handed down her recipes for all of my favorite "back home" meals.
Mi ta stimabo wela ( I love you grandmother).

1 comment: